Monday, April 26, 2010

A Small Thank You Goes a Long Way

Session is ending soon, and as I look back on all of the hard work and long hours I realize that a small thank you really does go a long way.

A few months ago, I organized an event for a Boy Scout Troop to come to the capitol for a tour, a mock hearing, and lunch. The event went smoothly except for one glitch that was resolved and and quickly forgotten. I had given the tour because it was a bit last minute and the regular person who normally does the tours wasn't available.

Today, my office received a stack of thank you letters from the troop thanking my boss and I for the awesome experience they had. My contact with the group sent me a thank you card and said that the tour I gave had a "lasting impression" on the scouts of the troop.

This gesture really meant a lot to me because often times, work in public service is a thankless job. Luckily, this was one of those instances when our office did indeed receive a thank you.

It's times like these that make me realize that a career in public service really is for me.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you Ari! I'm sure you are great at what you do, and you will continue to do great things, especially in public service. A little thank you really does go a long way!

    ReplyDelete