Thursday, April 29, 2010

End of the 25th Legislative Session

I'm feeling a bit somber today.

Although we've accomplished a lot this session and although I feel like we've done a lot of good work, I can't help but feel like a Debbie Downer today. It could be that after today, I will be working only one job, but it's other things like the stress of planning the wedding, paying my friend back money that she loaned my fiancee to pay for his lawyer, and the uncertainty of whether or not the future is still as bright for me as it was a year ago.

I can't help but feel a little down because right now, I'm just feeling like I'm too young for all of this. This is the life I chose, I might as well deal with the consequences.

Sometimes, I just want people to step up to the plate. I want them to accept responsibility and stress out a little bit about life instead of me taking on too much. Why does it feel like I'm the only one really worried about how things will turn out?

All sadness aside, I have to say that this office has done a lot. We've managed to help save a lot of jobs and non-profit organizations and a few individuals along the way. I feel good about this session and about all of the hard work I put into the student events I planned.

I learned a lot about myself this session and that has definitely been good for me. I've learned to "go with the flow", how thankless a job in public service can be, and also above all, how to learn to keep my attitude in check. I'm still working on it, but we'll see how it goes.

1 comment:

  1. hi ari :)
    you know, i've never mentioned this to you before, but anything political you talk about sends me into an intimidated mode. i think it's because mrs. smith scarred me in eighth grade when she forced us to learn about history. since then, i've just been intimidated about political topics (even in debate, i rarely knew what i was arguing about).

    so i just wanted to let you know that i admire you for your aspirations with politics. :)

    and you're never too young to experience anything in your life. i keep a quote right next to my computer that says: "God lets us experience the low points in life in order to teach us lessons we could not learn in any other way." so just allow yourself to feel down. cry if you have to. then make a plan as to how you can better the situation.

    love you!

    ReplyDelete