Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Life Lessons

1. Stay out of other people's problems. If someone calls to tell you what's wrong with them, don't say a word, because if you put in your two cents, you will get attacked... believe me.

2. Don't sweat the small stuff. If you can't control it, focus on what you can control and don't stress out about the little things.

3. Prayer works. If you ever feel down about yourself or your life, pray for a better day and God will grant your wish. (This happened yesterday when I was feeling down on myself because of other people's bull shit. Other people's problems were really bringing me down, and I knew I had to do something to get me through my double shift.)

4. You can get more done with sugar than you can with vinegar... uhh.. I think that's how it goes. Bottom line: You'll get a lot more done if you're nicer to people. Sure there's the saying that nice guys finish last, but if you want help and if you want people to respect you, have a backbone but BE NICE.

5. ALWAYS TIP AT LEAST 17% AT RESTAURANTS... unless the service is EXTREMELY SHITTY. Servers are people too. They are trying to make a living. Yah, they get paid hourly, but most of the time, their paychecks are shit... so help them out. If you go out to eat, then you should be able to afford to tip properly. If not, then go to Jack in the Crack or McD's.***

6. Always say please and thank you. ALWAYS.

7. If you are a parent, control your young. If they go nutz in a restaurant or some other public place, it is your job to get your child under control... otherwise you end up looking like trash.

8. Stand up for yourself and for what is right. Don't you ever let someone walk all over you and if something is going on in your family that isn't right, it is your job... if you care enough... to say something... at least something to try and stop it. Sometimes, you end up getting attacked for doing this by EVERYONE, but at least you know you've tried. (This may conflict with 1, but choose your words wisely.)

9. Always make time for your significant other, whether it's pillow talk before bed, or a half an hour conversation after work, or on the couch watching tv. If you don't want it to end, then make time.

10. Love life and always remember that when the situation seems dire, and you feel like there is no hope, God always provides a way out. It is up to you to walk through the door that opens.

11. YOU and YOU ALONE are responsible for your own actions. It's easy to blame God or other people for your situation in life, but that's the easy way out. Take responsibility and fix it if it's broken. Stop relying on some magical power to fix it for you. God can only do so much, it's up to you to actually take action.

Yes, I know 11 is an odd number, but that's all I have for now.

***Yes, I am a server. But it's only fair to the servers. A lot of times, they are working their asses off to help your table and others, so be nice to them. When I go to restaurants, I always tip 20% or higher.

4 comments:

  1. no wonder we're friends...we live by the same life rules!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this Ari and I totally agree with everything you just said! I think my favorite thing to do at restaurants is tip and I always give a good one because I feel for servers and they have to deal with shitty customers sometimes. Once I went to Olive Garden and this couple next to me left the server who was serving us and them a stack of pennies and he just shook his head. He was such a nice guy too!

    I sweat the small stuff all the time, and I'm learning to just let it go and concentrate on what I can control. I loved this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ari, I LOVE this!! I think my favorites are 1,2,4,5 and9! Lol although they are all awesome! I would always get super down when I got tipped bad or stiffed and I would always wonder if it was something I did wrong or did their food suck and then I realized, no they just sucked! They were just lame ass people with no class! Lol. But anyways this post is great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. would you agree that tipping should be earned? i would totally tip you 17% (so long as you dont spit in my subway sandwich, wink wink) because you're interesting, talkative. but some servers literally float around in Miami and then think they're somehow worth 18%.

    you're worth 20% because youre smart, funny, interesting. you can tell from some servers. for the ones that i cant tell, I tip 10-12 -- a courtesy considering the pitiful minimum wages on the east coast.

    here in Hong Kong, though, they dont tip, but tack on an additional 10%.

    ReplyDelete